Censorware is Outta Control! (Calling all CyberWarriors)

by JennSierra on September 13, 2007

in 1389 (blog admin), blog censorship, censorship, censorware, cyberwars, Jenn Sierra, The Jawa Report

Bookmark this link for rolling updates:
Stop Blog Censorship!

We are receiving e-mails right and left (no, actually, they’re all from the “right,” but anyway…) advising that one anti-jihad site after another has been misclassified by various censorware companies, with the end result being that the readers of those blogs are unable to access the blogs from various schools, places of employment, and wi-fi hotspots.

The problem is complicated by the fact that once we manage to get the sites classified correctly, someone comes along and requests the companies to change the classifications back to something like “violence/hate/racism,” and we have to start over.

WE NEED HELP – YOUR FELLOW BLOGGERS NEED YOUR HELP.

Most of these site have a page you can visit to test a url (web address) to see if it’s been blocked. 1389’s been collecting those, and they are listed below. We have also listed below a list of url’s that have been having recurring problems. (If we’ve missed anyone, please let us know in the comments.)

This is easy, but very important: Simply go to the various test pages, enter the url for your favorite blog, and follow the directions to have it reclassified as something like “media,” or “political advocacy,” as appropriate.

Here are the censorware test pages:

Contacting SafeSurf:

Feedback/registration form to contact SafeSurf
Note: The SafeSurf form requires you to reveal personal information. If you use the form, we suggest that, to avoid confusion, you enter the name of the website that you are telling them about, not your own website.

SafeSurf
1300-G El Paseo Road #104,
Las Cruces, NM 88001
Press Contact : Ray Soular
Press Phone : (818) 613-1415
E-mail: press@safesurf.com

Here are the sites under attack:

Technorati : , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Powered by Zoundry

1 IceBlueRoses September 16, 2007 at 1:47 pm

What’s wrong with having them classified as Blogs, they’re in blog format? Or is are you fine with that, I would be if it was my site. It’s not like its’ calling it tasteless, which it can if it has lots of profanity like some blogs tend to, so in that way, the “cybernazis” or whatever you consider them are actually being sort of fair right? It’s all about them just helping out OTHER companies to make sure their employees don’t spend all the time and bandwidth surfing the net, playing audio, etc. etc. Most good companies will let employees use their network on lunch hours and after hours, though, and that’s why filtering is really more categorizing, not really blocking..you should try and look at it from another perspective.

Just My Humble Opinion, great site though, Happy Trails 🙂

2 Norski September 17, 2007 at 9:46 am

Just a technical note. The applet “yavs,” which loaded with your page, didn’t get along with my browser and/or operating system. FireFox 2 said it wasn’t working right (non-tech translation), and let me go on without it.

3 Norski September 17, 2007 at 10:09 am

I’m not sure if I understand IceBlueRoses’ point.

It seems that the commenter regards labeling a blog like “1389” as a “violence/hate/racism” racism blog as an acceptable practice.

I suppose that “filtering is really more categorizing, not really blocking” – although it’s curious that some anti-jihadist sites are categorized as containing advocacy of violence, hate, or racism, while Islamic World News أخبار العالم الاسلا gets categorized this way – “islamicworldnews-islamicstudies.blogspot.com/ is in our list and categorized as Blogs & Forums” (SurfControl)

Islamic World News caught my attention through their discussion of Lars Vilk, the cartoonist with a price on his head.

A sampling of Islamic World News’ link list on this topic:

“Lars Vilks Cartoons :: Swedish Dog Mohamed Cartoon Draws.”

“الموقع الخاص بالفنان الذي رسم محمد”

” Lars Vilks Cartoons :: Swedish Dog Mohamed Cartoon Draws.”

and so on. “Swedish Dog” gets repeated fairly often.

But, this isn’t a site categorized as having of violence, hate, or racism content.

Perhaps my understanding of the epithet “dog” in this context is incorrect.

Or, I suspect, there is a double standard.

4 Al in St. Lou September 18, 2007 at 12:56 pm

OMG, 1389blog was blocked by SonicWALL for a few days. How dare you list blocked blogs! It makes you a hate site!

I’m glad it’s no longer blocked. Now I’ll check to see whether Spencer’s excellent site is still blocked.

5 Al in St. Lou September 18, 2007 at 1:01 pm

No luck! Jihad Watch is still “Violence/Hate/Racism.” I wonder about danielpipes.com.

6 Lady Predator September 18, 2007 at 8:31 pm

Well SonicWAll called me back apparently my Lady Predator is considered “mild” hate. Yup that is right folks a post labeled “Anti-War Liberal Scum” is hate (After what they did to the wall this seems to be pretty mild). Of course daily kos, huffpo and DU are non hate sites. islamicworldnews-islamicstudies.blogspot.com gets a pass as well.

There doesn’t seem to be any standards at all except of course liberal fascist ones.

I urge everyone to call SonicWall and tell them (nicely) about their double standards.

I uge all of you to call them the number is 1-888-557-6642 when the menu asks you to punch a number if you know the extension hit that then hit zero a few times.

The key word is “defamation” as it is clear there are no rules as to who they block.

7 johnsblogs42 February 25, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Well, fortunately for me, my site still isn’t popular enough to be attacked yet. But at the slow but steady growth pace I have, I may eventually get to be where these problems are.

Eventually. 😯