Fox News “Fair and Balanced”? Bzzzzzt, WROOOOONG!

by 1389 on September 27, 2011

in 1389 (blog admin), enemy propaganda, Fox News, mainstream media, RINOs

As I’ve said before, Fox News is not conservative at all. At best, it’s centrist. Fox News only seems conservative next to the other “alphabet” networks that stand somewhere to the left of Pol Pot.

Roger Ailes November 30, 2004
Fox News prides itself on offering “fair and balanced” reporting. Why is that any cause for pride? Consumers of news should demand the whole truth and nothing but. There is no middle ground between good and evil. Satan already has enough spokesmen, and spokeswomen too. A presstitute is a presstitute is a presstitute, Faustian sellouts all.

If Fox News refuses to deliver the goods, then I’ll get my news from Breitbart, from Sun News, from PJ Media, from Drudge, from The Blaze, from our own correspondents, from face-to-face contacts, and from a multitude of other sources (just for starters, click HERE to see the 1389 Blog blogroll). You can do the same. You can’t just sit back and be fed your information from the tube; you have to make some effort, but it’s your responsibility as a citizen, a voter, and a human being to inform yourself.

As for Fox News, I wouldn’t even call them “fair and balanced” any more. If they can foist the likes of Alan Colmes and Bob Beckel on us, then why can’t they give us Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin as an antidote?

It’s all because Roger Ailes put his finger in the wind, made his own dubious guess as to which way the wind was blowing at the moment, and changed course. It’s all about making a short-term profit; it isn’t about his duty to bring us the truth.

Roger Ailes: Beck, Palin Were ‘Branding Issue’

(h/t: Noisy Room)

(Newser) – Is Fox News going moderate? Not exactly, but Roger Ailes has consciously made a “course correction” from hyper-partisanship back toward the center, sensing that the public has grown weary of the Tea Party, he tells Howard Kurtz of Newsweek. Glenn Beck’s inflammatory rhetoric in particular “became a bit of a branding issue for us,” he says, as did Sarah Palin’s use of her Fox platform to promote herself as a possible GOP savior.

Ailes isn’t playing nice with the GOP’s 2012 candidates either, instructing his hosts to foster conflict amongst them. That’s drawn grumbles from Rush Limbaugh and others, but Ailes dismisses the critics, who he says “think we’re in someone’s pocket.” He also used the interview to dish some gossip on his hosts, complaining that Sean Hannity is “predictable,” revealing that Bill O’Reilly “hates Sean and he hates Rush because they did better in radio than he did,” and saying that he occasionally has to scold Shepard Smith for defending Barack Obama.

Fox News Channel

Roger Ailes supposes that American viewers have grown weary of the Tea Party, but does the evidence support him? Alexis Garcia at PJM begs to differ. See:

For Tea Party Followers, Cain Win Is Hardly a Surprise

More here:

1 John S September 27, 2011 at 1:22 pm

While i agree FOX has moved to a centrist position, I cannot agree that Beckel and Combes suggest it isnt balanced. Beckel, esp on the 5 is a complete ass. Combes is always a complete ass. Their presence does nothing to actually promote the views of the left. Rather, it casts the left in a dim (witted) light. A philosophy of robotic, closed-minded talking point regurgitators.
If FOX has a problem it is that they still seem to believe that balance means two fat men sitting on a teeter totter: two extremists yelling at each other. A little centrism would not hurt us all, even if hearing what we already believe feels so much better.

2 1389 September 27, 2011 at 1:26 pm

My problem with this is that I don’t want a centrist network. I want a network that gives us a counterbalance to the hard-left poison we’re getting from everywhere else. I don’t want something that merely dilutes the poison. I want an antidote, and a strong, effective one.

3 John S September 27, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I can see that, but for me it isnt necessary to counter the left’s poison as i don’t take it in in the first place (at least not anymore).Also, I suspect that people who watch MSNBC and the like are NOT going to watch FOX anyway.
Thinking about it i can see at least one aspect of a conservative FOX that is useful: Like Glenn Beck (i do miss the crazy bugger) and Ron Paul they often inject issues into the mainstream that would otherwise be ignored (or suppressed). Still, i would settle for an objective MSM and a biased (on both sides ) group of cable media outlets.
On a pragmatic note I think FOX is playing it smart. I think the public in the US is ready for moderation in their news. They want to trust the news to inform them without (the viewer) needing to do background research to identify any biases. A fairy tale perhaps but I can understand such nostalgia.
In the end I am just going to give up and yield the point. In Canada we have only recently had the opportunity to listen to canadian news from a right slanted source and I LOVE it! So i am getting the hypocrite alarm going off in my head as I advocate middle of the road FOX…..Thats the problem with composing comments as you type them. I still think Beckel and Combes are better arguments for conservative thought than O’reilly is though.

4 1389 September 27, 2011 at 2:34 pm

You do have a valid point about Colmes and Beckel making the left look bad. I miss Glenn Beck also, but I get the email feed from The Blaze. Ron Paul is right about financial matters and largely correct about the US Constitution, but I cannot go along with his views on foreign policy, and for me, that’s a deal-breaker.

Anyway, we’re glad to hear from you!

While 1389 Blog is hosted in the US, we already have one Canadian team member and we are very interested in getting more on-the-spot news from Canada. Feel free to contact us again!

5 Anne September 29, 2011 at 9:06 am

“The public has grown weary of the Tea Party”?

I think not. I and many other viewers have grown weary of O’Reilly’s self-satisfied, pseudo-intellectual bloviating. He’s not as smart as he thinks he is.

6 Westie September 30, 2011 at 8:16 am

Hello 1389, I’m very impressed with your coverage of the Kosovo/Serbia/Balkans travesties…keep up the good work. Bookmarked for daily read!