By Hannah Finch firstname.lastname@example.org
A HERO cat alerted neighbours to a kitchen fire when he escaped through a window and let out billowing smoke.
Three year-old Pepper — dubbed Smokey by firefighters — used a Houdini-style trick to escape after a microwave caught fire at the Stoke Gabriel property on Saturday afternoon.
Frightened by the exploding glass, he leapt from his bed and up to the window.
Then he used his usual party piece of nudging open the catch using his nose.
He ran to safety while the smoke billowed out behind him, alerting neighbours in Body Hayes Close.
Relieved owner Phil White said: “He got out and the smoke must have been pouring out of the window and that alerted the neighbours next door.”
Two crews from Paignton were called to the property at 4pm to reports of smoke in the area.
They used one hose reel jet, one main jet, positive pressure ventilation and a thermal image camera to ensure the fire was fully out.
Phil said: “There is some damage but nothing compared to what it could have been.”
(h/t: Bunk X)